Microsoft Unveiled Power BI Premium Gen 2
Starting April 2, Power BI Premium will be available for $20 per user, per month. The platform, first released in June 2017, is already available to organizations via a license that costs $4,995 per capacity, per month.
Comparatively, Power BI Pro costs $9.99 per user, per month or comes free with a subscription to Microsoft Office 365, which costs $57 per user, per month. Power BI Pro users can add Power BI Premium for $10 per user, per month.
With Power BI Premium Gen 2, customers get a series of capabilities that are not available in Power BI Pro. They include:
- Automated machine learning to build models without having to write code
- Data that is enriched with a series of functions from Azure Cognitive Services, including sentiment analysis of comments and key phrase extraction;
- No-code data preparation using a visual interface;
- Deployment pipelines that enable teams to manage their content and test reports, dashboards, and data sets before they are consumed by end-users;
- Pixel-perfect paginated reports
- The ability to handle greater volumes of data
- Enhanced security features.
All Power BI users can now try out the new Power BI embedded analytics playground, a hub that includes a developer sandbox to build reports using Power BI’s application programming interfaces, a repository to explore APIs, and a showcase where developers can experience APIs in action.
In addition, Power BI Premium users can explore virtual network connectivity for Power BI data sets and an autoscale capability that automatically adds a virtual core at a cost that can be charged to an Azure pay-as-you-go account to Premium’s server capacity when usage spikes and then removes it when usage returns to normal.